Cleaning up the workspace (again) I came across some blocks I made a few years ago. I was trying to come up with a quick technique for making the tree blocks and made 9 before I gave up. I love tree blocks and I'm surprised they don't appear more in quilts.
After squaring them up at 9" I decided to sash the blocks.
Then they seem to need large setting triangles. Some fabric originally bought as backing fitted the bill. I don't even recall which top it was meant to back, so there are no regrets cutting into it. Yellow green must be my current favourite colour. Someone even heard me refer to it as a "neutral" the other day.
The idea for the border is still maturing. Not a solid quilt, it's true. But the blocks were made 3 years ago and were found unloved in a UFO bag, so I am not bound by the challenge rules.
The item I was searching for is still missing, but at least I have cleaned up a small corner of my sewing world and made a fresh start on something that was gathering cobwebs.
On the red and white front I have drawn up my 5" stencil. Since I was making my own I made sure I didn't put too many feathers, and I was able to draw a nicer shape of feather as it attaches to its "rib". The inside commercial feathers appear a bit stumpy to my eye.
Now for the nasty job of cutting the channels for marking the pattern.