Monday, March 25, 2013

Fear of the Unknown

After viewing many of the tumbler quilts on Kathie's blog I just started cutting.  I made my tumblers 3" finished.  My ruler  has two little angles at the bottom for cutting off tiny pieces.  It seemed rather tedious at the time, but it meant that the pieces lined up easily and  in no time at all I put my new quilt top together.

In fact, it's so big I couldn't fit the whole quilt into the frame on my camera. I have pressed the seams open between rows.  There is some dispute as to whether it was a good idea, but I would like to see for myself.  I've been informed that my seams will be weaker, but once it's quilted, surely that is not an issue.  It certainly lies flatter at the moment.  Any comments?

 My intention is to machine quilt it using a walking foot.  In spite of all my lessons on free motion quilting, I'm still too anxious to let go with the darning foot.  I can still remember the same sensation learning to dive.  So many years and so many dives later, in retrospect I know it to be unreasonable.

However, it would be more than tedious to unpick lots of hastily sprayed FMS so I'm opting for the easy, safe road.

Meanwhile, I'm busily baking all sorts of flourless cakes, orange and walnut, chocolate and almond and my new favourite, orange sponge.  Chag Sameach!

Monday, March 18, 2013

On my Bum

 True to my plan for 2012, I have been working in solids.  The applique quilt is coming along nicely.  There are 9 blocks; so far 3 are complete and a fourth is underway.

While I haven't been quilting as much as I'd like, I did recently cover a cushion for the window seat.  It's my favourite spot to sit and catch some sun and watch the world go by.  The large print on top is Amy Butler home decorator fabric and the  gusset is a Kaffe Fassett spot.

 The cushion has not one, but two zips.  Initially I made a neutral cover with a zip.  When I stood back to admire my handiwork I realised that there was no life in it at all.  So back to the drawing board and I came up with a much happier, more colourful version 2.  It even has piping. Rather than toss the original away, I left it in place and covered it over.

Zips and piping.  Previously I have said I can't even sew a handkerchief.  I must be getting better at using my sewing machine.  Eventually I'd like to make a shirt.  I even have some beautiful Kaffe Fassett fabric set aside for this very purpose.

 I know it is directional, but in my mind that is a much smaller obstacle to hurdle than  actually making something that fits and I could be seen in publicly. 

The local upholsterer has been having a massive sale so I bought fabric for chair cushions, curtains and even armchairs.  Wish I could have bought some sewing hours to go with them.  I am quietly confident that I will get some more home dec going this year.
  No fabulous quilts to show; just humming along, keeping my head above water.  I have an nice repro quilt top I just finished that I'll show next time.  Till then, be good.


Monday, March 11, 2013

A New Start

Have you ever had one of those days?  Sure you have.  Well I had one of those years.  Something had to give and it was patchwork; and then of course, blogging.

In the past few weeks I have been able to return to my sewing.

In 2012 I travelled quite a bit.  One of my destinations was Helsinki to see my Finnish friends Hanna and Timo.  In a beautiful store called Stockmann I bought some wool and in no time at all knitted this scarf.

My hosts googled a quilt shop and took me to visit Soile where Hanna saw the quilt pictured in her blog post.

I recognised it as a design from the Material Obsession Book 1 and complimented Soile on her lovely quilt.  Hanna fell in love with it and also some Philip Jacob's fabric in the shop.  So it was decided that a Philip Jacobs version should be made in Australia and Soile would be responsible for the quilting the top when it reached Helsinki.

Hanne and Timo have just left after a 3 month visit to Australia and with them they took some binding, backing and this quilt top:

If you have visited my blog previously you may notice that the header has changed.  It is made from Liberty prints, all donated by Meryl.  She has given me a stash that I am hand piecing into a baby quilt.  Thanks, Meryl.