Monday, May 23, 2011

Comings and Goings

Don't you just love receiving something in the mail?  Emails are fine and fun in their own way, but when I know that sender went to the trouble of putting something in an envelope and then travelled to the post box or post office to send that something my way just thrills me.

Imagine my excitement when  Sharon from Washington State in the US sent me a package containing this:


Above the cute little nail file is a double sided 4 page pamphlet about the recent Red & White quilt show in New York.  Sharon knew I'd love it because she has seen my blog's left sidebar, full of links to other blogs with  beautiful photos (including Sharon's) of the show.

In amongst the notes from Joanna S Rose was this little tidbit:
"It is my hope that the show will travel far and wide - inquiries have come from several continents."
I hope that includes Australia.  I would certainly travel as far as Perth or New Zealand if the exhibition were to be staged in Australasia.

So a huge thank you to Sharon from Grassroots Quilting who has some colourful liberated quilts on her blog right now as a result of a weekend retreat with Gwen Marston.  Lucky duck! Go on over and check out her fun quilts.

So much for incomings.  Now for outgoings.  Last week I heard that Linda was organising her annual Quilts in the Barn Show.  This year Linda has managed to snag Jo Morton (yes, THE Jo Morton) to come over and show her quilts in a fund raiser for breast cancer research.  On top of this, Linda has decided to make a raffle quilt from only Jo Morton fabrics.  She has asked for blocks from around the world to include in the quilt.



This is my humble offering.  Not yet trimmed to 5.5".

It's not too late to join in and it would be nice for Linda to know that all her efforts are supported by the blog community.  I don't think Linda would mind me telling you that the block is so simple and she gives clear instructions here.  So simple I am tempted to make my own quilt using this block.

6 comments:

Joan said...

Lucky you...dont those quilts look wonderful?

Carol G said...

I so regret missing that show in NYC. Hope you get to see it when it travels to a city near you.

Crispy said...

What a sweet thing for Sharon to send you :0)

I would have loved donating a block but I don't have even a scrap of Jo's fabrics....bummer.

Crispy

Julie Fukuda said...

I wouldn't know a Jo Morton fabric if I saw one but then again I have not been aboe to identify a Japanese taupe and I live in Japan so that isn't saying much.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what a fun surprise! I wish I could go to Quilts in the Barn.

Dawn said...

That is a great block. I think you should make a quilt from it! There are many variations and each is soooo fun. Jo has a tiny one in a book - 3", just so cute!