Sunday, October 3, 2010

In the Hoop

At last! I decided not to blog until I had the spiderweb quilt basted and ready to quilt.
Now I have two quilts demanding quilting attention.  Nevertheless, it feels good to have this top finished.  I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of my friend, Janet, who gave me two "Regency Dandy" fabrics I didn't have.  Thank you Janet.

One of the things I enjoy most about finishing a quilt top is putting the fabrics I have used back in general circulation.  Until the top is complete, the fabric stays in quarantine so that I don't accidentally use a piece that I later need.

Thirties fabrics are not my favourites and if you asked me a few years ago, I would have shown no interest in them.  Well, I have learned "never say never".  With few exceptions, the actual patterns still don't speak to me, but the colours of the thirties fabrics work together in a scrap quilt to create a happy, bright effect.  I'll be using more of them, which is a good thing since I have quite a few unused 1.5" strips left over.

5 comments:

bettyp said...

Good for you on a finish!!! I am the same way about the fabric I am working with!!

antique quilter said...

love the spiderweb quilt would love to see a full shot of it.
thanks
kathie

Crispy said...

Hooray for getting a quilt finished!! Such a lovely feeling :0)

30's fabrics are not my favorites either but they do make a soft looking quilt.

Crispy

Lori said...

What a fantastic quilt! And I bet it feels wonderful getting it to the hoop stage!!

Marit said...

Your spiderweb looks lovely!!!
"Leftovers" are sometimes the best part. Smaller pieces are so much fun to play with. Have fun with yours...