Sunday, January 1, 2012

quilterie's choice: Best of 2011

One of the best parts about this time of the year is the lists that are published recording the highlights, lowlights and everything of note in between.  I love poring over them and being reminded of the year's events.

So quilterie is publishing its own 2011 list of quilt related items:
  • best book: History Repeated





    I haven't actually sewn anything from this book but I love looking at the pictures and dreaming.

    • Best fabric range: Cadet Paisley from Winterthur Museum by Andover

    While I haven't cut into it yet it is still my favourite.  A close second in the fabric stakes is the ArtGallery Solids range:



    The colours on my computer screen don't do it justice...just delicious.

    • Best tool: A late entry challenged for the title. 
    Originally I was going to put my wedge ruler that I used quite a bit in 2011.  But doing the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt made me work with my Easy Angle ruler and the Companion Angle ruler, both of which I now love.



    • Best show:  Even though I didn't see it first hand, I think the hands down winner was the "Infinite Variety of Red & White quilts" exhibition in New York.
    If you have any other categories that you feel should be included I'd love to hear of them.  Perhaps you'd like to challenge my list.  That would really interest me too.   I have avoided doing a "worst of" list.  Neither have I indulged in a "best blog" class, simply for the sake of diplomacy.  I think we all have our favourite(s).

    Lots of UFOs made it out of the cupboard in 2011,  some were even finished.  None of that would have been possible without the stimulus from you, dear reader; having something new to show each post has energized me to sew more efficiently than ever before.  If you have been thinking about starting a blog, I encourage you to go ahead and do it in 2012.

    For all your interest in what goes on in my little part of the sewing world, thank you.  I hope 2012 brings you everything you want as well as more time to sew!

    6 comments:

    Meredith said...

    I really like your positivity. I do not own any of the Art Gallery Solids Range. Thanks I learned something new! HAppy New Year

    YankeeQuilter said...

    I need to find that book...agree with you on the tools...those angle rulers do make it easier!

    Have a great 2012!

    regan said...

    Oh yes, those fabrics are gorgeous! And absolutely, the Infinite Variety Show was hands down the best ever (I can't imagine what could ever top it!)....I spent 3 glorious days there.....just couldn't get enough! I wonder if it will return to NY one day....I think there were plans for it to tour other countries.

    Happy New Year!

    Janet said...

    I love all your favourites. The solids range look luscious, I think I should try and use more of them.

    Janet O. said...

    Very interesting. Made me consider what my own favorites might be. I really have a hard time naming favorite anything, whether it be color, food, movie, book--you name it. I do love that Cadet Paisley fabric. Haven't seen the book, though it looks like something I should find. : )
    The rulers are very handy--I need to use them more often. Unless a pattern specifically calls for them I just don't always think of them.

    Dawn said...

    oh my, I could never choose a 'Best' so many great things out there to enjoy!

    I do think those solids look mighty tempting...

    I really enjoyed your recent post about sneeking in some sewing! I was sneeking a read and couldn't leave a comment...