Sunday, May 15, 2011

Slowww Progresss

Quilterie has been very quiet recently.  I've been busy with lots of little fiddly things.  You may remember a quilt I showed before called Georgetown Square.


Well I needed some of the sashing fabric for some fussy cutting in another quilt, but you know how it is...you can't cut into a fabric if there is the tiniest possibility that there won't be enough for the initial project.

So, after some phaffing about I finally put some sashing onto the Georgetown Square:


 I didn't get very far before I realised that the directional fabric  may require mitres in the corners.  Too late.  Anyway  with such a complex fabric pattern, that seemed like a poor option.  Before cutting any more of my sashing I thought I'd better consider further border options.  At this point the quilt only measures 52" square, just too small to be useful.

So I am not much further along with the design.  In spite of my dislike of curved piecing the quilt seems to demand it


but now I know why this top keeps ending up in the cupboard.  Pity, really.  I would love to liberate the sashing fabric!

16 comments:

Carol G said...

OMG I love these blocks. Paper pieced I hope. I have been there with you having to consider Plan B. It means more work but it will be worth it in the end. These blocks deserve the BEST!

Maureen said...

Stunning block and I love what you've done so far! It sometimes helps me to leave something out where I can see it. It enters my mind more frequently and sometimes helps the ideas flow. I looked back in your blog some - love your style!

Lynette said...

How stunning! and unique!! This will be amazing when you get it finished. I have a quilt right now that I seriously love/hate. I will love it when it's finished, but it's like pulling teeth to do the work on it! I've accepted that it will be a very long term project and instead of aiming to finish it in one sweep, I've divided it into stages of acceptable progress to work on a bit and then go to other projects before returning. It at least moves along that way.

Donna in SW PA said...

WOW! That looks great!

Ann Marie said...

Looks great so far. I've been thinking about circle blocks a lot lately. That sashing fabric is fabulous. I can see why you'd want to use it for another project.

Crispy said...

WOW the sashing fabric is perfect!! I hope your plan B works just as well. I agree with one of the commenters, leaving it out and slapping up different options every now and again may get those ideas going. The blocks are amazing!!

Crispy

Cheri said...

Wonderfully challenging blocks Liz. Something will come to you, just hang in there. Sometimes a quilt just needs to rest in the cupboard for a while :)

Barbara Sindlinger said...

Agree with the ladies above - what a great block and deserves all the special attention the sashing and borders are getting.

Nicky said...

Please don't give up on this one - it looks so special. I would love to be able to do such complicated work but don't tear out all your hair in the process! :D

Quilts And Pieces said...

I just got that pattern when I was in Australia last month! I can't wait to start it!

Lisa said...

Great blocks! They could form the medallion and just keep going! Love the little blocks on point your are trying on the top. This is going to be a wonderful quilt!

Linda C said...

The George Town circle is on my one day list. Yours is simply stunning. And l love that sashing fabric!!!! Masterpieces take time.

Sharon said...

Liz, what do the blocks look like set on point? This would requilre one more circle block but you will move up from the 52" sq to maybe a more useable size? As for the fabric pattern on the sashing just ending, well look at vintage quilts, Gwen Marston books, this might give you a few more ideas. I agree with the other commenters, leave it up on the wall, try other borders, etc It will come to you when it's ready and right! It'g going to be gorgeous!

Wendy W said...

Liz - this is one of my quilts in the "want to do" list. Lovely job!

Quilts And Pieces said...

It is looking wonderful! I plan on doing 9 blocks.

Karen said...

I like your Georgetown Blocks!