Friday, June 26, 2015

Never Too Old

Finally I found the binding I had made for my Bonnie Hunter Celtic Solstice months ago.  Admittedly I was distracted and was never going to attach it until after the recent show.  Now it's on.


I'm not lovin' it but I'm also not removing it. 


I have always cut my binding 2.5" wide but just recently I have started cutting them 2.75" wide. 

The reason is that I have always struggled when turning the binding to the back of the quilt to sew down.  I found that the binding had to be pulled and coaxed to cover the stitches used to attach it to the front of the quilt.  Not much fun, especially when we are talking about the usual 360" of a largish sized quilt.

So now, when I attach the slightly wider binding, I also move the needle to the right about 25mm.  


 Excuse me for changing units from imperial to decimal, but I am using a Bernina 440 and I think everything on it is decimal.


  I always use a walking foot to attach the binding and I can line the edge of the quilt up with the edge of the walking foot to achieve a nice binding width.

Another long standing method I have recently changed in attaching the binding relates to the corners of the quilt.  I always stopped 1/4" (or however far from the edge I was sewing) from the corner. Made a little reverse stitch and cut the thread.  Then I turned the quilt, folded the binding up and down again to make the mitre. 

It's so much easier and more likely to be successful if I stop the sewing at 1/4" (or however far from the edge I am sewing) pivot the quilt 45 degrees and sew right to the corner.  Then I cut the thread, turn the quilt and flip the binding round as before.  It always works out nice and neat, front and back.  Not like before when it was a dicey proposition.

Seems like you can teach an old dog new tricks.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I used to sew to the corner when binding also. I haven't bound anything in a while and forgot about it. I will not go back to doing that. Thanks for the reminder.

Dawn said...

Binding is my least favorite part of quilting. Congratulations on your near finish. I have a few ready to hand stitch down. I'm thinking yours will be done way before mine!
I did go back to your previous post and spend some time admiring your quilting.