Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Wrap Up

For those of you unable to make it to the antique quilt's big day out I have a few photos you may enjoy

I can't tell you too much about these quilts except that they were gorgeous and most of them were in pretty good condition for their age.  The crowd enjoyed many more and I will share them with you at another time.

Below is a quilt that has been almost complete for some years.  The last hurdle is the binding.  I chose to make a scallop edge but probably made the scallops too pronounced.  The binding (which is on the bias) has been sewn on and removed half a dozen times.  I've read every piece of advice on the subject, and believe me there are numerous different ways to put a binding on a scalloped edge.  None have worked for me. 

The worst part is that early on in my quilting life I finished another  quilt off successfully in a similar fashion without even a moment's hesitation.  My quilt is slowly getting an antique status without ever being finished.


Carol G said...

Oh wow, what wonderful quilts. The top right one looks like something my grandmother would have made. I've never been brave enough to try a scalloped border. Can you trim the scallops or would that mess up the quilting?

Katie M. said...

Have you thought about doing a facing on the quilt instead of a binding? From what I can see, it would be a shame to not finish it.

Crispy said...

No advise here on how to bind those scallops, I've never done one.

I love seeing those old quilts and look forward to more pictures of them.


Stephanie said...

Thank you for sharing these pretty antique quilts. I think antique quilts are so endearing because of the stories behind them, even if we just imagine them. I love scalloped borders but have not done one yet. I do have a quit waiting for one though.

Vivian said...

Don't know if you will get this comment since I am posting long after the fact (just found your blog via Inspired By Antique Quilts) but here goes...

I did a scalloped border on a quilt last year. The only issue is those concave points between the scallops. The only way I found to vanquish them is to clip them. This way you can spread the quilt almost straight as you put on the binding. As long as you are using bias, the scallops themselves work up the same as a regular straight edge.

On mine, when the binding was finished I could fold the point between the scallops and the binding settled into a little "v". You can stitch them down if you like (the way some do with mitered corners) but I found a good press kept them in place even after washing.

Love your blog BTW!