Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Little Bit of History

This morning the rain has stopped.  There was loads of washing, including this old quilt:

I put it in the machine on delicate, and then put it on the fast spin cycle.  I also put a couple of colour catchers in.  They worked their magic.

This is the first quilt I ever finished.  I smile whenever I think about it.  I saw it in a magazine, promoted as quilt in a weekend.  I started it while I was making my sampler quilt and only ONE YEAR LATER it was finished.  It is hand pieced and hand quilted.

I bought a cheap fabric for the back and the colour ran through to the front.  I didn't (and still don't) like the border fabric but was persuaded by the owner of the fabric shop that it was a good choice.  It needs to have the binding replaced as it has worn through in a few places and there is a hole in the top left corner that I noticed as I hung it out.  This is the back:
My kids use this quilt all the time.  It is usually left in front of the TV but sometimes it makes its way to a bedroom.  Now I notice that there is no label.  This quilt is an honest, utility quilt that deserves a little bit of TLC.  That will be my next project. Promise.

On another note, I went to an antiques fair with my mother this week.  We enjoyed all the exhibits but  one in particular caught my camera lens.  The exhibit involved a dozen or so mannequins with dresses from bygone periods.  This was my favourite and I thought you might like it also
Can you guess what was being exhibited?  The dress was stunning and the underskirt was handquilted silk.  Here is a closer look.

 This was a display about watches!!!!

6 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Oh that is funny. Watches? And they needed that lovely garment to show off the watch...
A couple of the quilts I have made have seen better days. Chewed by the dog, bleached by the sun, washed to death. I had to replace areas of my grandson's quilt last time I visited as the fabric had just worn out. Perhaps it was old when I used it. Your post reminds me that hardly anything I have ever done has a lable.

antique quilter said...

isn't it funny how no matter where we are we find quilting inspiration !
Or the only quilted thing in the room.
very nice, thanks for sharing.
Love your first quilt and that the kids use it makes it even more special.
Kathie

Crispy said...

Hey your "first" quilt is WONDERFUL and nothing says how wonderful it is, as a worn out binding and little holes :0) WOW look at all that lovely hand quilting!!

Crispy

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Liz,
I just love your quilt. The snowball nine patch is one of my favorite patterns...yours is beautiful. I also noticed on your profile that you are a retired dentist. I am a hygienist!
Take care,
~Karen~

Julia said...

Hi Liz, thank you for leaving me a lovely comment..
Love your first quilt..and that it's loved and used.
Amazing gown..
Julia ♥

Michelle said...

Your quilt is gorgeous - makes me want to start another snowball nine patch this afternoon!